Helping Musicians Do What They Love
WHO I AM
My mission is to help musicians make money at doing what they love to do - making music.
I am a passionate music lover of all genres - especially folk, roots, world, country, and pop. I have a particular love for Canadian indie music, and have spent many years working to promote and support independent musicians in innovative ways. I am a community activist with extensive networks in progressive political circles, unions, and the student movement. I love learning and regularly enrol in courses and workshops to enhance my skills. In my spare time I enjoy listening to music, playing guitar, writing songs and fiction, drawing, reading, exploring survivalism/bushcraft and being outside in nature.
· 20 years experience in communications, public relations, and publicity in various industries.
· 15 years experience in major event planning and tour management.
· 10 years experience working to promote and support independent Canadian musicians.
· 5 years as a radio tracker and publicist with Anya Wilson Promotion & Publicity.
· Experienced in contract negotiations, employment law, health and safety in the workplace (i.e., music venues).
· Budgeting, including reconciling a $1 million monthly budget for 9 years at UofT Students' Union.
· Certificate in Digital Publishing & Graphic Design, George Brown College, 2015.
· Certified in First Aid & CPR, St. John Ambulance.
· Certified in Workplace Health & Safety Level II, WSIB.
· Conflict Resolution Training, CUPE Ontario.
· Completed courses in Voter Contact Organizing and E-Day Organizing, NDP Election School.
· English & Linguistic Anthropology, Trent University.
· Holder of valid Ontario driver's licence; own my own vehicle (i.e., I can travel to you or with you).
George Brown College | 2011 - present
Student, Digital Publishing & Graphic Design
University of Toronto Students' Union | 2006 - 2015
Communications & Outreach Coordinator
Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) | 2006 - 2015
Positions held for Local 1281: Communications Officer, Vice-President, Bargaining Unit Representative, and Shop Steward.
Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) | 2003 - 2006; 2015
Contract Enforcement Secretary& Organizing Unit Secretary
New Democratic Party | 2003 - 2004
Ontario Tour Manager for Jack Layton, Canada NDP Leader
Election Tour Planner for Jack Layton, Canada NDP Leader in 2004 and 2006 federal elections
Election Tour Planner for Brian Mason, Alberta NDP Leader in 2004 provincial election
Election Tour Planner for Howard Hampton, Ontario NDP Leader in 2003 provincial election
New Democratic Party Caucus, Queen's Park | 2002 - 2003
Community Outreach Officer
Anya Wilson Promotion & Publicity | 1997 - 2002
Vice-President Radio Promotion
Canadian Publicist for TNN (The Nashville Network) and CBS Cable
Workshop Facilitator | 1997 - 2002
Canadian Music Week, Canadian Country Music Week, East Coast Music Week, Prairie Music Alliance Week, Long & McQuade University, The Big Schmooze in Toronto
SHEEBA Records | 1996 - 1997
Office Manager of SHEEBA Records
Personal Assistant to Jane Siberry on tours in U.S. and Europe
Virago Productions | 1995 - 2002
Co-owner and Manager
Artist Management and freelance support services for independent musicians.
Entropy Records | 1994 - 1996
Personal Assistant to the President
OXFAM-Canada | 1993 - 1994
Donor Relations Assistant
CONTACT ME for a full copy of my CV, detailed descriptions of my work experience, and references/testimonials.
NEXT PAGE: What I Do